As we head towards the 17th edition of the season, all ten franchises have confirmed their retention list. The 2024 IPL auction, to be held on December 19, is an opportunity to buy players and form a strong team for the new season. This blog will list three franchises with the most cash purse ahead of the upcoming IPL auction.
3 Franchises with Most Cash Purse in IPL 2024 Auction
The franchises finalize their roster just before the start of the IPL 2024 auction on December 19. Cricket fans will be very excited to know each franchise’s team’s budget just before the auction. For the past years or so, some franchises have chosen to make little changes to their team’s winning combination from previous campaigns. Meanwhile, others have shuffled their squads by making statement buys at the auction.
We look at three franchises with the most purse at the IPL 2024 auction.
Gujarat Titans – Purse Value of 38.15 Crore INR
Gujarat Titans, the IPL 2022 champion and the 2023 runner-up, have the biggest remaining purse value of 38.15 crore INR just before the IPL 2024 mini-auction. The Ahmedabad-based franchise released its captain, Hardik Pandya, who moved to his former franchise, Mumbai Indians, for 15 crore INR.
- Gujarat Titans have handed the captaincy to Shubman Gill.
- The franchise released many players just before the IPL auction – Yash Dayal, Dasun Shanaka, K.S. Bharat, Odean Smith, Shivam Mavi, Pradeep Sangwan, Alzarri Joseph, and Urvil Patel.
Sunrisers Hyderabad – Purse Value of 34 Crore INR
Sunrisers Hyderabad has a huge purse value of 34 crore INR. The franchise released one of its last season’s marquee signings, Harry Brook. They also let go of head coach Brian Lara after a dismal show in the 2023 season. However, it retained young and promising players like Umran Malik, Abdul Samad, Washington Sundar, etc.
- Aiden Markram will likely remain the franchise’s captain in the 2024 season.
- In November, the Orange Army released many players – Vivrant Sharma, Samarth Vyas, Kartik Tyagi, Harry Brook, Akeal Hosein, and Adil Rashid.
Kolkata Knight Riders-Purse Value of 32.7 Crore INR
Two-time IPL champions Kolkata Knight Riders have a big restructuring ahead of the IPL 2024 season and a cash purse of 32.7 crore INR. The franchise will look to bounce back after failing to make the playoffs in the last two seasons of the IPL.
- Shreyas Iyer will captain the franchise in the 2024 season after he missed the last season due to an injury.
- They have also released many players ahead of the auction: Kulwant Khejroliya, N. Jagadeesan, Aarya Desai, David Wiese, Shakib Al Hasan, Johnson Charles, Litton Das, Lockie Ferguson, Mandeep Singh, Shardul Thakur, Tim Southee, and Umesh Yadav.
Gujarat Titans, Sunrisers Hyderabad, and Kolkata Knight Riders will buy new players at a whopping sum to strengthen their batting department and their bowling unit in the IPL 2024 auction. In turn, this not only makes the auction day an exhilarating one but also the tournament an exciting one as well.